Snyder Museum and Creative Arts Center History
Located on spacious, beautifully landscaped grounds in Bastrop, NE Louisiana, the 1929 brick home of Charles and Esther Snyder was developed into the Snyder Museum and Creative Arts Center by the members of the Morehouse Historical Society in 1972.
In addition to the original home, two other buildings are located on the property, the Carriage House and the Garden Room with adjacent patio.
The Carriage House includes a permanent exhibit of historic farm implements as well as a horse drawn hearse and country store. The Garden Room and patio was built in the late 1990s through the efforts of Clarklea Garden Club. It is used as a rental venue for weddings, social events and community functions. Revenue from the rentals is used to maintain the museum and grounds.
Born in Russia, Charles Snyder came to Morehouse Parish in 1899. From a humble start as a dry goods merchant, he built his business into the largest retail department store in the area. A community minded man, Mr. Snyder, built his home as a showplace on the east entrance on the main highway into Bastrop. Today, beneath the tall southern pines and other trees of the area the museum still serves as a beautiful welcome to visitors driving through.